Monday, December 14, 2009

Boom!

It's a statement a parent never wants to hear: "Your daycare called; she says she wants you to call her. It's an emergency." I was in the middle of my 2nd hour class, and our school's secretary had just given me the news. Immediately, my limbs start to feel jittery and my heart begins to race. "Do you know what happened?" I asked. "She says he fell." "Oh my gosh! Dawn has stairs! Did he fall down the stairs?" I was thinking to myself as I left my classroom to call Dawn.
Turns out, Logan was trying to climb up on their couch, but failed on the execution and instead launched himself into the wrought-iron leg of her coffee table. "He's fine now. He cried when he fell. He's been acting fine and I've been icing the bump, but he needs to be checked," Dawn explained.
To make matters worse, I had noticed my wallet was missing yesterday. After rummaging through the house and my car, I had not yet found it and just went to school with my fingers crossed that I would not be pulled over for anything. Of course, I need to go to the emergency room the day I have no insurance cards! But just when I was about to burst into tears from the horrible chain of events, I opened my car door to find my wallet wedged between the seat and the floorboard. My jaw dropped--How the heck had I not noticed it there before?! In any case, I was thankful that the big guy decided to cut me a break on this one.
With wallet in hand, I made it to Dawn's in record time to find Logan in fine spirits. He looked at me, as if to explain his predicament, and said "Boom!" while patting his head gingerly. And from the looks of it, "Boom" is exactly the way it must have sounded when head met table leg. Man, does he have a massive bump on his noggin.
So I took him to the local urgent care center, which is, conveniently, right down the street from my school, and he checked out just fine. Usually Logan is a real bear at the doctor's office, but the nurse had the brilliant idea of giving him some crayons so he could color on the paper bed cover. (Why did I never think of that?) And he really seemed to like the doctor, albeit after eyeing him suspiciously at first. Logan's going to have a nice bump and probably a colorful scalp for a while, but no concussion--good news.
I took him back to Dawn's just in time for his nap and made it back to school a little over an hour after I had left. What a crazy Monday!

1 comment:

leah said...

I think you win a prize for dealing with such a scary situation with such grace and calmitude!! (I like English).

And you WENT BACK to school?? So there's your Dedicated Educator award too!!

SO glad to hear that Logan's ok!! (and of course that nobody is racking up a nice bill of speedboats and Sharper Image golf balls on your credit cards!)

Have a glass of wine lady, you deserve it!!