Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Survived the Cinema

Well, we took Logan, Atalie, and Auden to see Cars 2 yesterday, and, as promised, here's a little update on how it went:

Atalie and Logan were so excited to see the show. They even sat quietly through the trailers--and we were there, thanks to Eric's panicky punctuality, twenty minutes early. Eeek. We all shared a heaping bucket of popcorn, and Logan really didn't make a peep except to let out a few of his loud "I'm tired/annoyed" sighs, and to ask Atalie for a plot and character update about midway through the show. Makes me curious as to how much of the movie he actually took in.

I was most concerned about taking Auden to the show, especially since we went to the 2:00 matinee, which is right at his nap time. I figured it would either work out great or horrendously. Luckily, it worked out great because, despite the loudness of the speakers (Why do they have to blast the sound so high these days? In the days before surround sound, I don't recall walking out of the theater worrying about having done some damage to my hearing.), Auden slept the majority of the movie away, and he remained quiet for the last 15 minutes or so when he woke up.

The kids really enjoyed the movie, so Eric and I had a hard time holding back our criticisms of it. If they had the same writers from the previous Cars, they must have been sapped of creativity for this one. The plot was pretty stupid. I don't want to get into it, but it involves an elaborate plot to increase the demand for oil (huh?). And even worse, there weren't any clever jokes--you know, the off-color ones made for adults that the kids just don't get yet. Anyway, it was a nice experience for the kiddos and they didn't embarrass me, so I say it was a successful venture over all.

Today, we were in the car and Eric and I were munching some candy, a bag of those chewy Sweetarts that we meant to sneak in with us yesterday. Logan soon got wise to what we were doing. "Hey, what are you eating!?"
"Oh, just some candy."
"I want some!"
So we gave him a few pieces, finished our handful, put the bag away, and then told him there wasn't any left, just to avoid the whole "Why can't I have more?" scenario.
"Are you sure there's no more?" He asked plaintively.
"Yep. We're all out."
"Let me see the bag."
"What?"
"Show me the bag of candy."
Eric and I looked at each other in disbelief. "You mean you don't trust that we are telling you the truth?"
"No."
Eric flashed him an empty fruit snack pouch.
"Hey, that's not the same bag!"
Outsmarted by our three-year-old, Eric showed him the bag.
"Hey! There's more candy in there!" He said with glee. Fortunately, he didn't hold a grudge and stopped asking for more candy after we gave him a couple more. I tell you, he's too clever for us sometimes.

No comments: