Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fireworks R Fun!



Well, our Fourth of July festivities were quite different from last year's--in a good way. Last year, Eric and I had to pack up our folding chairs and our screaming two-year old out of the park just as the fireworks show began. Logan was not digging the loud booms. This year, we watched the fireworks peacefully in Alton, Logan shouting, "I love fireworks!" His favorites were red and green, by the way. Christmas in July or what have you. Auden experienced his first fireworks show just how Logan did: fast asleep. Maybe we'll skip the screaming in terror stage next year?!

We just couldn't get enough of being on the road, so the week we returned from Door Co., we spent a few days at home, packed up again, and spent a few days with my family. I wanted to make sure Eric got to experience the City Museum for himself this summer, so Logan, Eric, and I went while my mom watched Auden. Logan was much less timid than last time. He still loved the mini train ride, but he also climbed through some of the labyrinths, slid down some slides (including the ten-story one), rode the roof-top ferris wheel, and climbed through a plane suspended by lots of iron tunnels. The last two on the list even I was sweating about. He was really only nervous about the ferris wheel, as was I, frankly. It's on a roof for one, so my fear of heights was kicking in. And, secondly, it's creaky and, I'm sure, recycled from some second-rate carnival. So my fear of dying on a poorly maintained carnival ride was kicking in. Still, once we were up, Logan stopped crying, I stopped holding my breath, and we enjoyed it. Eric, who has serious thrill issues, had a blast.

Since it was really hot, we spent most of the rest of the weekend playing in the wading pool in my parents' backyard. Logan's favorite thing to do was take off from the far end of the yard, leap into the pool face-first, and run back to do it all over again...like fifty times. Auden liked to stay on the outside and lean over the edge of the inflated pool and splash or play with the toys. It was a nice time. Oh, and Eric decided to buzz his hair. Hey, it's summer. Whatevs. I took Logan to get a haircut, and he ended up with a buzz cut, too. Not my choice, but apparently the stylist decided to follow her bliss or something. Fortunately, he's still pretty cute and all.

We came back home. Eric constructed a potter's wheel from tree stumps, the motor from our old furnace, and other odds and ends. I guess the City Museum really inspired him. I may be seeking refuge for me and the boys in the coming weeks if he goes through with his plan of constructing his own kiln. According to YouTube videos, it's really easy, and you only need an oil drum and a propane tank. Awesome.

I'll post some pictures from the museum later, but hope you enjoy the cute pool pics for now.

No comments: