Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Baby Sandwich

It's August 3, and we're still anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby #2. The official due date is August 7, and, though I was hoping this baby would also have inherited Eric's urgent need for punctuality (Eric's always the first one to a party; Logan was born exactly one week early), it looks like he might have instead inherited my poor time management skills ("I'll get there when I get there--what's the rush?"). So I guess we--and everyone else--will be held in suspense for a while longer.

Just as our impatience is mounting, Logan is becoming increasingly excited about the baby's arrival, too. Today, on our walk to the library, Logan and I passed by a new playground the city is building. Logan asked if "baby Auden [would] play on playground?" When I explained that, for quite a while, baby Auden wouldn't be able to do all the cool things Logan can do, he gave me a somewhat disinterested "huh."

I next asked Logan what he wanted for lunch. He replied, "A baby Auden sandwich!" Weird. Brought me back to Swift's "A Modest Proposal," that and fairy tales about ogres and such. Although maybe his idea was sparked from our "Logan sandwich," a big sandwich hug Eric and I often give Logan, which he loves. Pretty funny in any case.

While we're on the topic of eating, Logan has been knocking me out with his new willingness to eat veggies of late. Yesterday, I served him couscous with shredded carrot for lunch. "Carrot?" he asked. "Yep," I replied. "Hmm." Then he happily ate it. He also ate the carrot coins and dip I served with dinner. AND asked for seconds. Score. Tonight, he ate zucchini orzo and took some bites of daddy-o's tomato slices. He was so happy about the tomatoes, he repeated "toe-may-toe" about five times just for laughs.

Maybe his new affection for veggies was inspired by our trip to Heritage Prairie Market Farm this morning. Eric and I have been inspired by Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and are looking into ways to buy more local produce, so we visited this farm, which operates a CSA. They have a cute little shop, and we had a nice time meeting the man who runs the farm operations and the woman who operates the cash register :) Unfortunately, our timing was a bit off. We were going to take Logan to see the goats, but it started raining, and the goats high-tailed it into the barn. Darn them for being so sensible. Still, we bought some produce and honey at the store, found out more about their CSA program, and Logan got the rare treat of eating chocolate before 10AM. All in all, it was a nice, albeit speedy jaunt to the farm.

Our last swim class was also tonight. We were wondering how Logan would handle it (or, more honestly, how we would handle Logan) since he neglected to take a nap today. Surprisingly, he had a great time--he actually asked to dunk under water with daddy-o several times, and he "surfed" on a little turtle-shaped boogie board. Understandably, he was happy to hit the hay tonight. He even went to sleep without hearing a story first--a phenomenal feat! And, I think I'm rather ready to hit the hay myself, so tah for now!

No comments: