Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Welcome, Auden Henry!


Well, he's finally here! Our late arrival came into the world at 2:23AM on Wednesday, August 11 at Kishwaukee Hospital. I had him sans medication, though not necessarily by choice--I was about ready to beg for an epidural when, lo and behold, Auden was ready to make a quick entrance, so I missed the last call for nerve blockers. Sigh. He was 8lbs. 8oz. and 21 inches long; he earned an unheard of 10 on his APGAR score--a very healthy boy. And he continues to impress us--so very different from Logan as a baby, who was rather fussy, though I think Logan was probably reacting to our (or my) general apprehension about being a new parent. While Logan dropped weight like crazy after birth, Auden eats just about every hour to two hours, which is kind of maddening, but he's already gained 3 ounces beyond his birth weight. But aside from his being reassuringly healthy, he just seems to radiate this peacefulness, like he's some tiny yogi or something. And the fears I had, wondering how the baby would fit into our family, which seemed pretty complete with just Logan, wondering how I could possibly love another little person the way I love Logan, have been obliterated and I'm left feeling fascinated at the overwhelming capacity for love we humans have.

Happily, Logan is being a stellar big brother thus far. Expecting tears and fury, we have been pleasantly surprised to see that Logan is proud to look out for his little brother. I was burping the baby yesterday, and Logan was sitting with me, watching me carefully. With a concerned look, he said, "Mommy, don't hit Baby Auden." Eric and I then had to explain what burping is, and he had a good laugh over that phenomenon after he realized that I was certainly not abusing Auden. Logan has also learned that babies aren't always easy, however. Auden hates having his diaper changed. Unlike his big brother, he thinks nakedness is not a fun experience, and he was putting up a rare boisterous demonstration of his discontent. Logan, again watching over the baby, looked at me with a distasteful expression and said, "I no like this baby." Then he ran out of the bedroom and shut the door behind him. Oh, if only I could have heard Auden's opinions of his big brother this morning when Logan had meltdown after meltdown.

So life is exceptionally good. We feel great and are so thankful for our new baby boy, our big boy, our good health, and our wonderful, supportive families.

2 comments:

grammy renee said...

Auden is a sweet baby and he is lucky to have such wonderful parents as well as a big brother that loves him! Congratulations and our love to all of you.

EM Hum said...

Congratulations!!!