Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Miracle Grow

Well, another week has passed us by, and so far, no more unfortunate incidents with markers--phew! Auden continues to be a good sport. He's still a very mellow baby, and what a chow hound! He's three weeks old and now weighs in at just shy of two pounds past his birth weight, 10 lbs, 5 oz. While he's usually quite content, we have noticed his temper developing--that's how I know he's mine--ha! Of course, his temper rears its ugly head when he's hungry or when he's having his clothes or diaper changed. And boy is his cry strange sounding. He definitely has a wind-up that sounds like a normal enough cry, but then when he's really upset, he breaks into, for lack of a better word, chatter--like he's part chipmunk or something. And with the chubby cheeks he's getting, he might start resembling that cute little rodent in another way. Oh, and this kid snorts...like all the time.

In brother news, I've learned Logan can be quite the precocious child when it comes to put-downs. The other day, I was rather grumpy, being short on sleep, and Logan was being a little challenging, jumping all over the couch. I angrily told him if he couldn't stop jumping on the couch, he would have to sit on the floor. "Mommy, why don't you go to work, too!" He huffed at me. Wha?!? I wasn't sure I heard him right...but yes, I had. How did my two year old become possessed with the abrasive angst of a teenager?

Today, we drove to Grammy and Papa Hill's, and as Eric drove us up a steep-ish hill, the engine revved up a bit. "Hey! Slow down, Daddy-O! You're going too fast!" Having a two-year old as a backseat driver isn't the most intimidating thing in the world, I suppose, but I'm sure Eric isn't happy to know that he has another person watching that lead foot of his. For the record, though, Eric is a pretty decent driver.

So, it's been two weeks of being a mom-at-home, and I think it's time to take stock of the experience thus far. I am absolutely loving this chance to stay home with my boys. As much as it can be a challenge to remain patient with my headstrong two-year old's antics while my newbie is spitting regurgitated milk all over me, I am rewarded by Logan's hilarious witticisms and Auden's gas-bubble smile. I have to admit, I felt a bit displaced as my colleagues and my husband began their school year and I remained at home, ultimately ignorant as to how much I would be learning from this adventure. My perspectives are still shifting. Instead of measuring my productivity by how many papers I've graded at the end of the day, I'm counting the funny stories and sometimes patting myself on the back that at least one disaster was averted.

I do yearn for a little more structure to my days, though. I think I'll try to give my days certain themes, like art or music day, just to make sure I've helped foster some chances for fun and creativity for Logan and me. And I do need to hook up with the local mom's group soon, but all in all, I feel so fortunate I'm able to stay home with my boys. Hopefully they feel the same way...at least most of the time :)

2 comments:

EM Hum said...

My biggest struggle over these last 6 years of staying at home has been the inability to have my structure and control. (And I'm not even a teacher!) I have tried to have simple little schedules and sometimes they work for awhile. Inevitably one of the kids hits a new milestone or groove and the schedule gets tossed. That can take anywhere from two months to two hours. (ha ha) When Auden gets bigger, he will interfere with what you're trying to do with Logan and you will have to sometimes hold Logan back or let Auden do things you're not 100% sure he can handle yet.

To be honest, I am just starting to get comfortable with pretty much getting shot out of a cannon every day and "going with the flow." The school schedules help and walks help. My only advice as this year goes on for you is to not put pressure on yourself to get things "accomplished." I once heard someone talk about "want to's" "Should do's" and "Have to's." They said only do what you want to and have to. For instance...

It's 5PM, you "should" start dinner, but you don't "want" to. so you hem and haw until 5:30PM, when you "have" to start dinner. Why waste that time worrying about what you should be doing and just wait until you have to do it? Same thing with cleaning up, saying no to people, (pre)pre-school curriculum and activities, keeping the kids on napping/eating schedules, etc. Again, it's all about not pressuring yourself to have things "just so."

Little kids are chaos. Totally worth it, of course, but chaos nonetheless!

Carly said...

Thanks for the advice, Liz. I really agree with what you said about the "Shoulds." I think I'll have fun embracing chaos this year!