Monday, September 20, 2010

Potty Training: Part Doo

Sorry for the cheezy title. I just couldn't resist.

I sometimes wonder what it takes to inspire other parents to begin potty training. Starting preschool, the kid's turning 4, whatever it may be...Let's face it. Potty training is not a fun chore because we don't want poo poo and pee pee where it doesn't belong. Well, today I became inspired by the grossest diaper I've had to change yet. And, of course, it was in a reusable diaper, so I couldn't just toss it. "This is sick, and I can't take it anymore!" was the cry that seemed to issue from my very being. So, we are giving it another go with the potty.

Logan ran around most of the day with just a shirt on, which was kind of funny, and he actually took to the plan. "Mom, I go pee pee and poo poo in the potty now!" He shouted happily. A good sign! And the good signs continued. He peeed three times in the potty today. He watched me dump the pee in the toilet and thought that was cool...it wasn't so cool when he tried it himself. He peed the third time while he was playing in the living room and I was in the kitchen loading the dishwasher. Before I knew what had happened, Logan ran up to the kitchen sink and launched the contents of the potty lift-out cup thingie into the sink. Just when I thought my day wasn't going to get any grosser...So, I congratulated Logan on a job well done as I was scrubbing out the sink, reminding him that maybe it would be better if mommy dumped the stuff out of the potty for a while.

Auden will be 6 weeks this Wednesday, and he's starting to stay awake for longer periods of time and looks around now with more interest than before. Those little smiles are coming more frequently, but it's still hard to tell if they're the real thing or not. He went to church for the first time yesterday. Everyone was excited to see him, and although we were a little nervous, we sat toward the back of the church instead of the balcony, which is next to the cry room. He slept through the service and only let out a couple of grunts. He hasn't given up the grunt yet. Since he was a newborn he's done that and other somewhat embarrassing noises. We were really afraid he was going to unleash one of his loud poops during a quiet moment in the service or something, but, thankfully, he restrained himself. All in all, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Grammy Renee said...

Sounds as if you are really having too much fun!! Good luck with the potty training.