Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween and the candy coma

Well, Logan had a blast, this being the first Halloween that he understood the premise of the holiday: "I ring doorbell. Nice person opens door. Nice person hands me candy, or I grab a handful of it out of his/her bowl. I say 'Thank you!' and high- tail it out of there to the next house. Repeat aforementioned steps, ad nauseum." We learned pretty quickly it's more fun trick-or-treating with pals, and fortunately, we had a bunch of them around last night. First we buddied up with Jackson and Mimi; then, we found Zion and his sisters. Finally, he saw his buddy Jade from tumbling class. "Hey, I was looking for you!" he said as he dashed toward her. So the little pirate and Tinkerbell went traipsing along, pumpkin buckets swinging, procuring scrumptious candy.

The day before, we went to a fantastic party at Logan's friend, Evan's house. Evan's mommy did a bang-up job, as usual. It's nice to be a great party planner, but it's even nicer when you're good friends with one. There were games, cute spooky-themed food, and pumpkin decorating. Logan particularly liked the dance contest, and fortunately he had warmed up to everyone by the time it was time to boogie down.

And on Friday, we hosted some of our neighbors at our annual "Trick-or-drink" celebration. It's fun reconnecting with the people on our block. Of course, this year, I was shooting for our snacks and drinks to be pirate-themed but I hadn't gotten the stuff together since Logan had come down with a fever Thursday morning. I wasn't sure we would even have people over if he was sick, but he bounced right back, thankfully. So Friday afternoon was spent frantically cleaning the house and scrounging together the ingredients for our snack and drink ideas. We served "Pirate's blood," a spiked fruit punch, and "Arrrtichoke dip."

I have to admit, after trick-or-treating was over, I was glad to see Halloween go. This is the first year it's really become a full holiday status, what with something going on consecutive days. Now I'm just trying to figure out how I can get rid of all of this excess candy. Eric hasn't yet taken it to school to be used for bribery material for his kids. I have to say, the M&M's are nice for Logan bribes--he'll do just about anything for a candy fix. My little sugar fiend...And I made his first dentist appointment last night. How appropriate.

No comments: