Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pink eraser and palpitations


We just returned from my parents' house for a pre-Thanksgiving get-together. It was good seeing everyone, and Auden continued to melt everyone's hearts; Logan was resident jester. Auden is becoming more lively by the day--he loves to stand up (assisted, of course) in your lap and smile. He giggles at his elephant toy and grabs on to it (and daddy's face) with both hands.

And Logan...Well, you can always predict that he will do something unpredictable. We were just hanging around my mom and dad's house, and Logan got into Papa George's office supply drawer--one of his favorite things to do. Logan took off with one of those pencil-top erasers. He put it on his pinkie finger, and proudly showed everyone around how stylish his new prosthetic finger tip was. I should have known what was coming, but I didn't. After he had shown me his hot pink rubber finger bling, he put it in his mouth. "Spit that out right now, mister!" I panicked a little because when he put the eraser in his mouth, he was looking up at me, and I was afraid he would choke on it. Well, he put his head down, but no eraser came out. He looked up at me again with a surprised look on his face and said, "Mommy, it's in my belly!" In disbelief, I made him open his mouth and I looked inside--no eraser. I looked around on the floor to see if it had somehow bounced out of sight. No eraser. It really was in his belly. Great. He hadn't choked on it, and it was small enough that I figured it would have an easy enough time making an exit. At least it wasn't sharp or poisonous, right? All I would have to do would be to search through his poop for a bright pink eraser. Yet another thing I never in my life thought I would be doing. Well, the eraser made its way out the very next day. Apparently, the bowels aren't as fond of erasers as they are of chewing gum, which stuck around in his system for more than a week. Ah, the joys of having a toddler.

No comments: