Sunday, January 2, 2011

Flippin' Milestones



Hope all of you had a great New Year's! We kicked off 2011 at the third annual kid-friendly New Years party hosted by our friends, Jen and Ben and their cute little boy Nate. This year Logan and Auden decided to stay awake until midnight, after which we packed them up and put them in the car for the 40 minute drive home. They slept like angels--when will they come up with car simulators you can use in the home to get your children to sleep well? Auden slept the entire four hours down to my parents when we drove down for Christmas and again when we drove back. That's the longest period of time he's slept yet.

Anyway, our day before going to the New Year's party was eventful. Logan was wanting to play with some markers that were given to us by some friends for their two-year-old's birthday party, and I nearly dumped them because they weren't washable but felt I was being too uppity about it, so I hung on to them instead. I should have listened to the uppity voice in my head or been more responsible and actually watched him play with them. But no, I had to go and make taco dip for the party while Eric was watching tv. From the kitchen, I heard Eric gasp and say, "Logan, you know you're not supposed to do that!" Then I heard the camera clicking, so I knew it had to be good. It was. Eric walked Logan into the kitchen to display Logan, whose face was bedecked in non-washable purple marker. What did Logan have to say for himself? "But Mom, it was an accident!" Luckily, I had a sample bottle of no-tears shampoo, and I scrubbed the stuff off. I can't say it didn't give me some pleasure to use some elbow grease while scrubbing those cute little cheeks. Especially after I saw the wall in the basement, which will probably have to be repainted now after Logan scribbled on it with that same purple marker. When will I stop being an idiot and watch my child when he plays with markers?

Auden is reminding me how quickly the time will fly before he, too, is moving around of his own volition. It kind of makes me hyperventilate just thinking about having two toddlers around. On New Year's Day, he started rolling from his back to his tummy. Eric had put him in his crib under his mobile for a few minutes, and when I went to get him, Auden was on his tummy. He did it a couple more times while playing on the floor, so it doesn't seem to have been a fluke. He must have taken it personally when one of our friends said he was surprised that Auden wasn't "doing anything" yet. So I'll have to relish these couple months of relative freedom while he's still unable to crawl.

Obviously, the pics are of Logan's New Year's Eve face graffiti and Auden's food-face.

1 comment:

grammy renee said...

You forgot the part about Logan saying "Mom, you're kinda being a jerk" while you were washing the purple marker off his face after the "accident". Loved the pictures!