Monday, April 4, 2011

Panic!

A while ago, Eric installed all new hardware in our household--and by hardware, here, I mean doorknobs and hinges. Why he felt this had to be done is kind of beyond me, but they do look much better than the old, discolored brass ones we had before. Anyway, all of the bedroom doors--including Logan's--have locks. At first, I thought maybe we should forego the locks, but my worries were assuaged by the fact that Logan knows how to unlock the doors really well. After today, I'm sure I want to forego the locks on the kids' doors.

Today, I put Logan down for his "nap" and started to put the baby down for his nap as well. Logan's naps have ben pretty inconsistent now that he's almost three, but I tell him he has to at least rest for an hour or so in his room, mainly so mommy can maintain her sanity. Well, Auden had just started to drift off, when I heard Logan screaming and crying in his room. Trying to figure out what he could have done, I brought sleepy Auden to the front of Logan's door. Great. It was locked. So, I had to get the little lock-picking thingie, and I wrestled with that for what felt like an eternity, trying to find that teeny little switch inside the door that disengages the lock. Meanwhile, Logan's still screaming his head off, saying, "Mom! I'm stuck!" He definitely wasn't at the door, so I knew he wasn't crying because he was stuck in his room. Besides, he knows how to unlock the door. No, he was certainly stuck somewhere in his room. I told him not to panic and tried to remain as calm as I could, but I was still befuddled as to what he had done to get himself stuck in his own bedroom. Finally, I was able to get the door unlocked, and I found that my son had wedged himself under his dresser. I pulled him out, and he was perfectly fine, but why he had wedged himself under his dresser was beyond me. Then I looked--he had somehow gotten several Hot Wheels cars waaay back there against the wall, and he was trying to reach to them. Anyway, disaster averted. Kid unstuck.

While Auden hasn't gotten himself stuck under anything yet, he is cutting yet another tooth--this time, his right upper incisor. So, he's pretty much continually crabby and will be for some time yet.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh how funny he was stuck under the dresser. It's just like those kids who get their heads stuck in the stair railings. But I bet it was scary before you know what happened. Now you know you can pick locks I guess. Good skill to have?