Sunday, July 24, 2011

Choice phrases

So I've been a bit worried about Auden and his speech development. I flipped through one of those milestone charts (probably a mistake), and it says he should be addressing Eric and I by our proper names (dada, mama) by now. He's not. I mean, he says "dada" all the time, but he's looking at me when he says it, or he's just babbling. I had to check back through Logan's baby book to see where Logan was at this age: he was saying mama and dada, though I didn't specify if he was calling us by those names then.

Ok, so Auden might be a little behind. I'm not going to freak. Especially when I noticed today that he officially has a word he is saying and using appropriately: uh-oh. He dropped three things in about five minute's time while I was just sitting back and watching him today. Every time he dropped something: "uh-oh!" It was pretty funny. I guess that's his first word, officially. Hmmm. Not sure what to think about that...

Not to be outdone, Logan also rattled off a couple of amusing new lines while we were playing out in the sandbox today. He was working on making some sandcastles when he realized the sand wasn't wet enough, so I suggested we fill up a couple of buckets from his swimming pool (which had a good inch or two of water standing in it after our rainstorms) and dump them in the sandbox. "Ok, mom. I'm on it!" he replied and took off toward the pool. Where did he get that one? Pretty funny, anyway. And he's thought of a new, entertaining way to stall at bedtime: "Mom, I have a question for you..." Tonight he asked me how planes are made: wooden ones and jets. Then he asked how string cheese is made. A brief glimpse into the mind of my young son. What's important? Jets and string cheese.

More good news on Logan's speech front is that his stuttering has dissipated a bit over the past few days. I'm not sure if it's just one of those weird things that happen to young stutterers (the stuttering tends to become better and worse for no apparent reason sometimes) or if he's growing out of this thing altogether. Of course, I'm hoping for the latter, but we'll see!

3 comments:

EM Hum said...

Don't worry too much. Nadja didn't say more than a word or three until she was TWO.(It didn't help that my friends kid at the time was saying every word under the sun) The day after she decided to speak, she spoke in little sentences and is now a pretty articulate kid.

grammy renee said...

Do you think you might have that Koprivica "worry" gene???
Love you!!

mrehill said...

Koprivica? O'dell? I think I got it pretty bad from both sides, thanks very much, mom. :) Thanks, Liz. It's good to have some people snap me back into reality so I can remember that all kids develop on their own schedule. Damn those benchmark charts. I'm burning mine tomorrow...Maybe we'll roast marshmallows over them!