Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chalk-eating monster



Happy Memorial Day weekend, everybody! I'm officially out of school as of Friday, so I am super excited to be kicking off the start of summer this weekend. Eric has one more week, and then we'll both be home full-time with Logan for the summer! Yay!

The only sad part about ending the year is that we had to say good-bye to Miss Dawn and the girls. Of course, we're going to pester them all the time for play dates, but I know Logan and I are going to have a tough time adjusting to the days that will now be so girls-less. I remember how much anxiety I felt at the beginning of the year, wondering how Logan would adjust to being with them all day, nearly every day. I was worried I was being a bad mom for asking someone to watch my son for the majority of his waking hours; I was worried that I would somehow become usurped as well. I can honestly say that I feel so fortunate that we were able to find a family so loving--Logan became like one of their own, and he learned so much and shared so much love while in their care. Thanks, Miss Dawn! Thanks, girls! We love you!

Yesterday we enjoyed our day with a group of friends we don't see nearly enough of--Cody, Ramona, their kids, Colleen, and Pete. We enjoyed the beautiful day grilling outside while the kids had a blast jumping on toddler beds, playing out in the yard, and, if you're Logan, eating sidewalk chalk. The kids were throwing the big hunks of chalk into a bath of rainwater from one of their little play sets, and Logan thought it would be funny--and apparently delectable--if he munched on a blue, then later yellow, chunk of chalk. Like a true circus freak, Logan wowed his friends with his uncanny ability to stomach the brightly colored substance. I probably made the situation worse by freaking out a little and making him wash his mouth out. Of course, I had to document my proud moment as a mother with a photograph first.

Today, we're headed to celebrate our friend Leah's completion of her doctoral degree and her new job as a teacher with IMSA--yay, Leah! I think I'll keep the sidewalk chalk at home today...

2 comments:

grammy renee said...

Glad to hear that you are having a relaxing week-end. Logan is really adorable in blue (chalk)! Our best to Leah! Quite an accomplishment! Enjoy the rest of the holiday, minus the chalk :).

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.