Monday, August 17, 2009

The Final Week at Home


Carly is at her first day of school and Logan and I have settled into our familiar "Daddy is Home" rhythm. We played a lot today, went for a walk, explored the backyard garden, had sword fights with dead day lily stalks, ate some good meals and watched the midday news together. He was running a bit of a fever yesterday and today his nose is dripping ooey gooey snots so he is not feeling very well and is on his second nap of the day. I can't say that I've used his nap time to my benefit very well. I have a lot to do to get ready for school but can't seem to make myself do it. Perhaps I don't want to acknowledge the fact that my year at home with the boy is nearly over. It's sad. Plain and simple. I know that everything is going to turn out fine but I also know the facts: I am not going to "be there" during the day. If I focus on that fact I get sad. But if I focus on the hours after I pull into the driveway at home, well, then me going back to work doesn't seem so overwhelming. I will "be there" every day and every night and I will make our time meaningful. That's all I can do.

No comments: