Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh, the Places We've Been!

As Logan hysterically cries in the background, I'd like to reflect a little on the past year at home. It has been quite the adventure. Yesterday we were driving back to DeKalb from Red Lobster in Geneva which happens to be the same route that we took back home right after Logan was born. Driving down 38 I was caught up in a sense of nostalgia. Logan was babbling and head banging to some music in the car, vibrant and smiling, and it didn't seem that long ago that he was a newborn, barely able to move his head, not really able to talk or smile. How something that delicate turned into my rough and tumble, happy-go-lucky boy in the span of a year and five months is amazing.

I feel blessed to have had the chance to stay at home with Logan. I hope that he thrived under my care. I hope that my instincts were right in thinking that being with him during this first year was the most important thing that I could be doing. I know that is how I feel. I wish that we lived in a world where all parents had the same opportunity that I had. All I know is that I learned a great deal about myself and my boy from this experience and that I wouldn't trade it. I feel a profound sense of gratitude to Carly, my wife, for bringing home the bacon this past year. Thank you so much, honey, for supporting our family and allowing me the chance to develop a strong bond with Logan. Without your support, advice, care, compassion, and love, well, I wouldn't know where I'd be right now. You gave me such a gift and I love you. Perhaps in the future you will get your chance to experience "the bliss" of stay at homeness.

Like all babies, Logan is a special one. Like most parents, I feel like Logan is the special one. He is growing into such a character and I am really excited to witness him emerge into the person he will become. I'm so glad that I created this blog. Someday, Logan will be able to search the Internet and read a record of when he was young. I think that is so cool. I started this blog with lofty intentions, and I feel I accomplished most of them. I didn't exactly write everyday, but I came close. Not every entry was stellar prose or even very insightful, but I managed to capture some of the little things that make life special. I started off eager to write, hit the doldrums, saw blogging as a chore, picked myself up again, got busy with other things, but still managed to write about my time at home with Logan. And for all that, I thank myself for keeping this blog. It wasn't easy all the time, but it was usually fun. Thanks also to everyone who reads on occasion. I hope that you felt connected to the Hill family through this writing and that I wasn't a waste of your time. I tried to make it interesting.

Well, Logan is still not napping. How fitting an ending. So Carly and I are going to take a walk with him now. That means that I have to stop writing. So I'll post. Is this the last post? Maybe. Or perhaps I will start up a new tag team blog with Carly. We shall see.

3 comments:

leah said...

Well, even if this is the end of your blog (which would make me sad) I've really enjoyed reading it this past year plus (although I can't believe that the time has flown by so quickly!!)
Congrats to you guys for your beautiful and happy family!
:)

grammy renee said...

Eric,
I have enjoyed reading about your stay at home experience with Logan. I have felt more connected and don't feel like I have missed as much by getting pictures and updates. You have done a wonderful job and Logan IS a beautiful little boy. We are proud of all that you and Carly have done, working together to give Logan the best possible start in life.

Adolfo said...

MORE MORE MORE!!!! I've enjoyed reading your blog every couple days. It really helps me keep connected to you guys. Thanks for the blog. I hope you keep it up, its been awesome.