Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rage against the dying of the blog!

So as I'm soaking up my last few hours of freedom before the school year starts again (sigh), I am reflecting on what a treasure this blog has actually been for me and my family and friends this year. When I would come home from school last year, if i was ever, shall we say, underwhelmed with Eric's description of how his day went, I would quickly check out the blog and be far more satisfied with its answer to my query. It helped me stay connected to Eric and Logan when I couldn't be around as much as I wanted to. And I realized it serves the same purpose for other people, too, when I talked to my dad the other day, and he said, "Hey, your blog doesn't work anymore." It made me sad to know family and friends maybe checked the site, only to find a stale post. It's happened to me before, and maybe this is some reflection on how dull my life is, but it's such a sad feeling, like you've been abandoned, forgotten about. What's more, this blog has made a great record of our lives this year. Though it's still in the editing stage, Eric's-year-at-home blogs are being made into a book (thanks for the link, Liz!) that we can enjoy for years to come, that Logan can enjoy when he's old enough. So in this age of disappearing information, it's reassuring to know that one can refuse to fade away "into the blogosphere" as Eric put it. We're getting this blog back in gear, damnit!
Oh, we've had some adventures the past couple of days. Logan has been flaunting his inheritance from dad--a dangerous combination of fearlessness and clumsiness--as he fell down the front step, bit it in front of a pet store, knocked his head on the corner of our bookcase, and...wait for it...pulled two mountain bikes on top of himself this week. Luckily, no trips to the emergency room were necessary, but while I was changing him the other day, I noticed he has chipped his front tooth. I was a little dismayed when I couldn't even begin to narrow down the probable event that caused the little alteration in his appearance. And I nearly cried when I found out that tooth has gone from a dull to serrated edge--ouch!
On the upside, we've been living up our few remaining days of summer by going to the pool, biking around town, and hanging out with friends. On Thursday night, Eric, Logan, and I met up with the grad school clan (sans Leah, sniff sniff) at JuRin for dinner and enjoyed a Maggie Moos after-party. Logan and his friend Zoe soon grew restless, however, and we had to walk them over to PetLand. Guess what? Logan knows what sound puppies make. "Woowoowoo!" I think he's going for "woof" but is short a consonant...Either that, or he's just really excited to see those puppies.
And we were able to queeze in one more road trip before school by going to Aunt Jackie's today for her housewarming party. Logan had fun playing with his cousins and watching the dogs romp around. It was a beautiful day, and it was nice spending time with Eric's side of the family. We're all excited for Jackie's little girl, who's coming in November, though it's strange for me to think that Logan will soon be the "big" cousin. I can hardly wait to hear what he'll have to say about that next year.
Well, I guess I'd better hit the hay. Thanks to all of you for reading and for caring so much about our little dude!

3 comments:

mrehill said...

Ain't my wife grand? I'm sad that she is going back to work tomorrow. Unreal! I love you honey and know that you will have a brilliant year teaching. Good luck.

Adolfo said...

woohoo!!! I was so happy today when I checked the site, and there was an update. Sorry about having to go back to work; but thanks for the update. I missed you guys!

leah said...

I missed dinner with you guys too!! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!
;)