Friday, August 29, 2008

Baby is Safe in Oblivion

I don't know about you, but I love sleep. It's one of my favorite things to do. A solid day time nap or a deep night of sleep really gets me going. It's sounds lame, but I have always loved sleep. I was the guy in college that would leave a cool party because it was getting late and I wanted some shuteye. Or at sleepovers as a kid...yeah, I was the one who got his hand put in lukewarm water because of course I was the first kid curled up in his sleeping bag.

As I've matured, I've come to realize that sometimes foregoing sleep because life has to be lived is a necessary thing. In fact, some of the best times in my life have resulted because I've staved off the sleepy eyes and drowsy brain and lived in the moment even though that moment was past my bedtime. But despite all those good times, I still find sleep to be a buddy and I crave that special feeling of being completely oblivious to everything that matters in the world. I suppose I trust that everything will be ok when I sleep, no matter how deep, and that I will be safe and return to the land of the living. I'm still here and each time I fall asleep I've woken up again, so it's not that crazy, right? Anyway, I felt the reason to contemplate sleep a bit because I can no longer take it for granted. And yet, sleep, when I get it, has become even more fabulous and restful than it was before.

Logan and I just took a nap together, and I was completely out of it. Oblivion enveloped Papa Hill and his child. Did we get lost in the utter blackness and forever lose our sense of self? Nope. Logan and I woke up after an hour. Logan seemed to enjoy his dark adventure so much that he finished off his bottle and drifted back to sleep, allowing me the chance to reflect in this blog. And I know he will wake up happy and life will keep on going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is probably my favorite blog so far. I think this is the main reason I wouldn't want kids. Are you going crazy not sleeping? Talk more about that. Are you having to wake up at crazy hours in the night? I think you should go rent Mr. Mom, and see if anything similar is happening to you.

Word up. Keep up the good work homie.