Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Close Quarters Crying

Logan has been asleep now for five minutes. For the 35 minutes prior to that, he was crying. Rather, he was shrieking and wailing and choking on his own spit and coughing and working himself up into an emotional frenzy. How did it end? He went down for his second nap like I knew he should. Tough love is tough.

Instead of walking with him and cuddling him and playing with him I decided to be firm and not listen to his cries of protest. He needed a nap. I knew it. He knew it. Now when I say not listen, I don’t mean that I put on my ipod earbuds and jammed out to the Red Hot Chili Peppers or something. I didn’t even put him in his crib to cry it out, although that probably would have been easier for me. Instead, I held him in bed and attempted to be calm while Logan let all hell break loose from his mouth. Eventually, he took an ounce or two from the bottle and went into an uneasy yet deep slumber. Wow.

I’d like to chalk his fussiness up to something, but all his needs seemed to be satisfied. I guess he needed to cry. We all do. He might have been crying because I wasn’t standing up and moving with him, or he might have been crying because he wanted only the comfort that Momma could give him (I mean boobs). All I know is that he cried and cried and cried and I almost cracked like five times but I didn’t. Close quarters crying is some intense stuff, I have to say.

No comments: