Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fuzzi Bunz or Bum Genius?

The term "reusable diaper" doesn't conjure the most pleasant of images in one's head, but actually they are pretty cool items of technology. We have two different brands as you can see from the title of this entry. Each type has its own quirks, and I'm not sure which brand I prefer. Generally they work like this: there is a rainjacket like material on the outside of the diaper that is colored in dazzling orange, red, blue, green, etc. The inner material is a soft, fleecy wicking type material. A pocket is formed between these two layers and inside of that pocket goes the absorbent microfiber like pad. Baby pees and it wicks from the layer in contact with his butt and gets absorbed into the pad. Baby poos, and well, the diaper just becomes a mess.

Anyway, Fuzzi Bunz are less thick and make my son's bottom look less frumpy because the pad isn't doubled on itself like in the Bum Genius brand. Bum Genius uses velcro to close the diaper around baby whereas Fuzzi Bunz use plastic snaps. Both brands are adjustable and are supposed to grow with the baby, but Bum Genius' velcro allows for more of a one size fits all.

I've had diapers on my mind because I'm washing them all the time! We have a little over twenty and that lasts about 2 or 3 days. To clean these bad boys we have to drop the peepee pad in the can, then take the poopoo part and pre-scrub it in the toilet to get rid of excess poop. Then we toss it all into a hot wash. Needless to say, it's more fun than emptying out the cat litter box. And when it comes right down to it, are we saving any energy or waste at all? I don't know, but as crazy as it sounds, it feels better to do it this way. Although, when Logan starts eating solid foods and those things start to make his poo smell, well then I might be telling a different story.

3 comments:

AAWG said...

Hey Eric - Got your mass email! You probably didn't even know I was still on your list... Anyhoo - I have a blog too (stop by anytime). The kids must drive us to it, huh? Anyway - take care of yourself & the cutie. Good to see you're on the up & up! - Liz Hum (from High School - I never think anyone will remember who the hell I am!)

KSLATZ said...

NICE BLOG - Great length and interesting stuff througout, keep it coming! more photos would be ideal :)

Reading about poopy diapers makes me think about cleaning my dogs litter boxes and often DeRosa's cage as she has a hard time holding it. We have invested in puppy pads since it makes it easier for cleaning. These pads are very similar to diapers so I guess I am part of the evil non eco friendly dog owners :( but it is what it is...

I feel for you and the work you need to do to get the poop out of the diapers and to get them clean. I guess talking about poop just seems normal to me now that my dogs are both turning 1 year old and I have been monitoring and cleaning their poop on a daily basis.

awwwwww the joys of fatherhood :) I guess I am just stopping by to say, I can relate!

When you coming to San Francisco? This is a really awesome city!

ps. I now have a new job, working as the communications manager at the San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau - working on this really cool MAC desktop with a giant screen - so far so coolio, only day two though.

pps. Liz Hum is cool, I remember her in HS being so fun - I think we all took photo class together!

Bonnie said...

I know what you mean about the washing! Pray tell, what do you scrub the diaper with in the toilet? Do you then put the wet diaper in the same pail as the inserts?