Thursday, May 7, 2009

Interesting Quote

"We don't own 'em [kids], they're just on loan to us."

I heard this quote the other day on t.v. from Justin Chambers. He's on the ABC day-time circuit for the 100th episode of Grey's Anatomy--he plays the swarthy doctor in love with Izzie, the character who "jumped the shark" when she was seeing her dead boyfriend because of a brain tumor. Yes...unfortunately I have seen a few episodes. Anyway, I was struck by that quote and appreciated the sentiment.

We don't own our kids. Truly, they are a gift and it's our job to do the best we can in raising them. Being conscious of the fact that they are their own little independent selves is an important thing to remember from day to day. Sure we have to set boundaries and try to get them to stop throwing their sippy cup full of milk on the ground, but then again, we also have to realize that they are independent beings with their own purpose here on earth. No one owns anyone else in this world, even though it seems like people try.

This train of thought gets me thinking about something else I saw on t.v. I also watched a Frontline documentary on the sex trade involving women in European countries. It broke my heart to hear these stories and see people still treating people/women like property. It's maddening the world we live in. Makes me want to scream. How can all sorts of good things happen while simultaneously all sorts of bad things happen? What is the nature of this world? Of humanity? Of myself even? Carly was using this really interesting article for class the other day. It discussed an ethical issue. From what I read, this guy, Peter Singer, calculated that it would take $200 dollars to save the life of a starving child. It's more involved than how I am expressing it, but basically he states that if we are to consider ourselves "moral" then everyone with disposable income, i.e. Americans, should forego all luxury spending and give it to those in need. If we don't, then we shouldn't fool ourselves self-righteously proclaiming we are "moral" people. Again, I've way simplified his argument and it was much more convincing than I'm making it out to be. However, he has a strong point, I think. Google the article yourself for the moral of this story. Well, enough philosophical angst for now. If you've stayed with me let me get back to my original point. We should cherish our children and the time we have with them. Simple, but difficult when they won't nap and are being fussy.

No comments: