Monday, March 16, 2009

Fear of the Crazies

Daddy is Home is a public blog. Should I be afraid? Yes, No, or Maybe So? I feel as though I am pretty cognizant of my "web presence." I try not to act like an idiot online and I don't do or say anything in web spaces that I wouldn't do or say in a public space. With that said, however, I have been sharing a lot of personal information and "family secrets" on this blog. If some wierdo, or some very savvy advertising dude wanted to target me, my family, and friends for whatever reason, I think they would have a lot to work with. On the one hand this makes me nervous and I'm a bit creeped out. Having a personal journal (web log) for all to see exposes me to some risk. And yet, I think the benefits outweigh the negatives, and here's why.

I am participating in one of the most fantastic social experiments ever designed. This whole "Internet" thing, it is really cool. I'm connected to anyone with a basic computer (and modem). Global collaboration is simply a click away. If someone in Turkey wants to comment about one of my posts, they can. If a bloke in England has strong opinions on circumcision, sure he can express his reasoning. It's quite the humbling thought to imagine my little blog being read by perhaps millions across the globe. But I'm getting a bit idealistic now. In reality, I think I have about 10 readers. But actually, those 10 readers mean the world to me and the same is true for them. I wouldn't be able to share my thoughts and feelings if not for this little public space. Sure I could keep it "private" and simply restrict viewing to those I approve first, but where's the fun in that. I wouldn't get entertaining dialogue like I did a few posts ago, and I wouldn't be able to connect with new people or make new friends.

So what I'm saying is that even though I'm sharing some intimate details of my life, so far I think it's ok. It's worth it. I'm living in the modern world and seizing the day electronically.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have to follow the rule that you don't post anything you wouldn't feel comfortable talking about (with a stranger) in public.

The one thing people don't always think about when doing things on the Internet is that the Internet is forever; once it's up it's out there and it's next to impossible to redact anything. That is a good and a bad thing, mostly good and of course everyone can see it. Like you've said it's nice to have open dialog and opinion and the free flow of communications, that was one of the original intents of the Internet. In my case, I maintain regular contact with perhaps a dozen or more people that I've never even met in person mostly in far flung corners of the globe, the closest I estimate is less than 1hr from where I live. In a way, that is really cool but even those who I've known that way for a while know very little about me and that's how you protect yourself while still enjoying the exchange.

I am relatively open, like I post with my actual name, but in the end you have to decide how much is too much and in your cases, I would pull personal information such as first names. Another blogger friend of mine did just that after she saw someone hitting her site from some pretty sick places. Though in a sense it was already too late, once they're out there it's easy to get the information. Just ask the Chinese and those underage gymnast. Even their government couldn't stop the information from getting out. Remember that?

AAWG said...

I would suggest a stat counter/tracker that you can keep hidden on your blog so no one knows it's there. I have one after I found out I got a hit from some freak googling "little girls camel toe" I posted awhile back about a dream I had about inventing a camel toe blocker. THANK GOD the perv didn't find what he was looking for & never visited since. But this way you can keep track of who is visiting.

Also, you might want to alter words w/ periods like "p.enis" or "v.agina" so that people googling those words don't get your blog as a result.