Sunday, March 15, 2009

Simple Moments

I really felt like a Dad tonight when we returned from my parent's house. Logan was asleep in his car seat and we pulled into the quiet, dark driveway. I turned off the car, unbuckled him from his car seat, and carried him on my shoulder into the house. It was a simple moment, but it felt so right and powerful. The weather was mild, the air smelled sweet, and Logan's limp, sleepy body was warm. Once in the house, I eased off his jacket, put him in his crib, turned on the froggy humidifier and closed his door, wishing him a night full of wonderful dreams.

Carrying a sleepy child into the house is a powerful thing for me, I guess. It reminds me a lot of my Dad. I don't remember exactly if I remember him carrying me into the house, but I know I remember seeing him carry my little sisters, Jacqueline and Christine. Even as a young boy I remember thinking how sweet it was that my Dad was able to do that. Now I get to experience the sensation my self. I love the simple moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet, it brought a tear to my eye.