Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Losing Power Struggles

So I lost a major power struggle with Logan today. He woke up from a nap prematurely and I didn't feel like getting him (I know...I'm a terrible person). I checked on him quickly to make sure he was ok, then I let him cry, thinking beyond hope, I know, that he might fall back to sleep. Instead, he cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried until I couldn't take it anymore (after about an hour). Logan wins. I know I shouldn't see the situation in this whole power struggle sort of way, but sometimes it feels like that with this baby. I fed him some blueberries and apple baby food right after this non-napping extravaganza and Logan totally spit the food out directly in my face, showing me what he does to fathers who ignore him. It was actually funny and we had a miniature food fight. Ok. Not really, but Logan did end up looking like the Joker in the most recent Batman movie, The Dark Knight. The blueberry apple was a deep purple color and it was all over his lips and face in a contorted, maniacal smile.

You would think that I would have learned I am not going to win with this kid. Around 4:00 this morning I got done giving Logan a bottle and he gently went to bed, not making a sound for 5 minutes. Then, at 4:05 he decided he didn't want to sleep. Carly and I let him cry until it was time for Carly to wake up to go to school. She soothed him, thereby rewarding him for his hour of crying, or finally putting an end to his crying? I don't know.

No comments: