Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thoughts

I am taking a grad. class this semester called Traditions of Written Rhetoric. Basically, it's a course that traces the history of rhetoric from the Ancient Greeks up to modern day philosophers and orators. What is rhetoric you say? Well, let's just say it's the ability to persuade others using language or discourse.

Why am I telling you this? Because we've been discussing some interesting ideas that I find applicable to my life, and it involves this blog. Writing this blog has been a great way to remember happenings and experiences. It's been wonderful to be able to share moments from mine and Logan's day, expressing some of the thoughts, feelings, and ideas that I've had.

However, in many ways, this blog is artificial, an imagined creation, a rhetorical tool in which I portray a vision of what staying at home with Logan is like. And what's bugging me about my blog is that it doesn't tell "the truth."

I'm not lying or anything, merely using words to create a reality that isn't, well, reality. I'm being rhetorical and using my powers of persuasion to gain sympathy, incite laughs, and simply connect. No matter how hard I try my experience of living life with baby can't ever fully be encapsulated through words. The power of writing only scratches at the surface of reality, and this can be a frustrating thing if you dwell on it too much.

For example, over the past three days Logan has woken up in the morning with his diaper full of poop. Have I mentioned this before? No. Should I be mentioning it now? Probably not. Waking up poopy caused all sorts of thoughts and feelings inside of me: "how long has he been like this? I'm terrible for not getting him at the first whimper. Man this is gross...is this what my life has become? Wow, I love life and I love Logan and I even love changing his diaper. What did he eat? Etc. Etc."

These thoughts could have made it into the blog, but I chose to leave them out (actually I just put them in, but you get what I'm saying). Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that so much of life at home is missing, left out because it's not important enough or I can't express it properly or I think it would be boring or I feel as though no one wants to hear or read about it.

Good writers are able to expand these everyday moments and reveal some of the depth that every moment in life possesses. Right now at 11:11 a trillion things are happening. Present. A clock is ticking and my laptop is humming and the keys of my laptop are clicking and I'm breathing but not really aware of my breath and my butt is sort of sore and a truck passed by my house and Logan is stirring and all sorts of stuff is happening that I'm not even aware of.

So, enough rambling. My blog, Daddy is Home, is not the truth. It's a collection of parts of the truth that I stitch together in order to make something pretty and wholesome and interesting. I could go back each day and write something completely different for that day and it would still not get at the whole truth.

Where are we at now? Well, all I know is that the power of words and rhetoric is pretty neat and I'm still enjoying exploring. Hopefully I haven't turned off too many readers with this lengthy post. I was a bit bored and lonely during Logan's nap so decided to blab. Was it in a persuasive way? Did you follow any of what I said or am I headcase who needs to get outside? It is 60 degrees outside...wake up Logan! Daddy needs to go for a walk!

6 comments:

AAWG said...

Truth is not only evasive, but it is completely subjective as well. Any art form, whether it be writing, photography, painting, music, etc. will never capture the "truth" because truth doesn't exist concretely, it is all perception.

If you just stated facts, like "A truck whizzed by. Logan pooped." There would be no point, because it isn't emotional or thought-provoking.

We who read understand that what you write isn't the "whole" truth. It is your perception and a little window into your thoughts of the moment. Humans can have multiple emotions and thousands of thoughts at once about something. And what means a certain thing to you now, is going to mean something different ten years from now, maybe even ten minutes from now.

I guess that's why I spin my tales the way I do. I show the ups and downs, but keep it positive, so that when the girls look back, they think, 'sometimes times were hard or crazy, but we were happy & loved.'

Unknown said...

Very insightful. Great post.

KSLATZ said...

You have always been a very philosophical guy. Which can be fun - especially when you and I have a few beers and we debate why Sylvester Stalone is a horrible/great actor and Carly things we are really fighting even though we are just debating our outlook on his abilities to act.

I agree with Liz, this is an art form that is understood that you are sharing only parts of the truth, as it would be unfortunate and boring if you constantly wrote about only facts.

I get why you are questioning this blog of your perceived reality - but it really should bring you back to the purpose. You are documenting Logan's life - and a time when he will not remember things. Your reality will be important to him one day along he road to adulthood and hopefully he can take your reality and learn from it.

I'm sure he will enjoy your artful journal that has been dedicated to him and his youth - if he doesn't, you spoiled him too much and he is an ungrateful brat - but that remains to be seen. I'm sure he will treasure this gift you have given him!

Unknown said...

I was thinking about this post again today. Is it possible for anyone to know reality second hand? Can it be the case that anyone not involved in an activity know and/or understand what really happened?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I know that my blog is a collection of my perceptions, but I guess I was questioning the "accuracy" of my perceptions. Most people think of politicians when the word rhetoric is used, and the next thing they think is bullshit (although we can hope it ain't true with Obama). I guess I was just wondering if the blog as a whole is more or less "truthful." I think it is, but what in the heck is "truth." And as Miller said, can we ever know anothers' experience in any concrete way.

Anonymous said...

love this blog entry. love this blogsite. awesome! wish i had time to read it all. congrats on being a stay at home daddy. that rocks! i am a stay at home mama and wouldn't trade it for the world! i gotta start blogging now . . . your site is fantabulous! :) Jen Taulbee Carlson