Monday, December 15, 2008

Mom Vs. Mother Nature

Like most working folk, Carly had to brave the elements this morning. Poor Carly. I felt bad for her and was worried considering the treacherous, icy conditions. The least I could do was to help her get on her way, so I scraped off the car windows, started the car up (barely) and loaded the presents she was bringing to school for donations and Secret Santa stuff. Anyway, the weather was pretty brutal last night and into the morning (howling winds that kept knocking our antenna tower into the house) and it got me thinking about how thankful I am to have a warm place to inhabit.

With people losing homes and the tough economic times, I feel even luckier that I've had such a good, solid start in my life. I owe so much to my parents who gave me that safe and comfortable beginning. Because I've been so blessed, I want to give the same thing to my family. I don't feel pressure or anything...I just want what is best for them...and so far, I feel like we are doing well.

I'm pretty sure that's what everybody in the world wants...to be able to provide a decent life for his or her family. That is why the world is such a frustrating place. Because everybody deserves to live a lifestyle where one is warm at night, but not everybody has that. And a lot of times, it isn't the person's fault...it's not because they are lazy or anything to do with their actions. People's lives are greatly determined by the (economic, social, biological) circumstances they are born into. And one doesn't really choose these circumstances. I suppose if you believe in reincarnation and the like that you actually do choose your circumstances before birth so as to work on your karmic issues...well yeah, then you do "deserve" what you get. However, thinking this and being able to accept it are two different things.

I'm getting a bit off topic, I guess. It just seems unfair that everyone doesn't have the basic necessities for survival. Especially so on nights and days when Mother Nature is cruel and cold.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good thoughts. Thanks for putting things in perspective.