Monday, January 12, 2009

Dear Logan


Dear Logan,

You are a sweet boy and your mother and I love you and cherish you. With that said, it looks like we need to go over some baby ground rules because you're sort of driving us crazy and causing quite a bit of stress on me and your mother. My biggest issue with you, Logan, is sleep. You see, even though sleep can be scary sometimes and seem like a waste of time, sleep is actually a special gift and is necessary for a happy and healthy life. Moms and Dads need it in large doses, and so do babies. I don't know if you know this, but usually sleep occurs in long stretches of uninterrupted time, let me repeat Logan, uninterrupted stretches of time. We are not enjoying the pattern you've gotten yourself into, especially the 4:30 a.m. waking (45 minutes shy of Mom's wake-up alarm). Last night she went to sleep too late (1 am), woke up soon after to soothe you back to sleep, and then got mad at Dad when you didn't cooperate this morning at 4:30 (and I mean, really mad). What gives, buddy? Why aren't you soothing yourself back to sleep anymore? You used to be able to cry for just a few minutes and then calm down and close your eyes. Now all you do is stand up in your crib and cry and cry and cry until we crack. I'm pretty adept at ignoring you but your Mom can't really hack it. Do you want to hurt your Mom? I don't think you do. Neither do I. So why continue in this destructive pattern? Wouldn't we all be a much happier family if you just could relax and not wake up so often?

Crap, Logan. I just realized you're only 9 months old and can't read this letter! Well, maybe you could cooperate anyway. That would be nice.

Sincerely,

Dad

p.s. I have some other things to talk to you about...maybe in another blog entry.

1 comment:

KSLATZ said...

Sorry to hear you guys haven't been sleeping well. I hope Mr. Logan learns how to sleep through the night real soon.

I bet he will start to sleep better right around the time Carly is off for the summer and doesn't have to get up early to go to school :)