Thursday, October 30, 2008

Baby Drama

Logan and I have developed a somewhat dysfunctional feeding pattern that is totally functional. Let me explain. From an outsider's perspective, it would seem as if my child is fighting with all his might against his bottle and the cradling (restraining) arms of his father. That person would say to themselves, "Geez, that kid is obviously not tired nor hungry. What is that dumb, mean guy doing to that poor kid?"

From an insider's perspective, even though Logan is fighting and screeching and doesn't seem tired, he really is. It only takes a few minutes of horrific straight-jacket Daddy to calm Logan down. Logan's insane feeding pattern happens a lot. I'd say he puts up a violent scary fight 30 percent of the time (mostly in the morning)...too often. It's just so strange. Why does he act like I'm attempting to do something horrible to him? Why can't he just go gentle into that good night? It really tests my parenting mettle. It's hard to be consistent when he is just so vehemently opposed to what you want him to do, even though what you want is the best thing for him. He's also getting much stronger and pushing and kicking me away. I guess this is the crappy part of parenting. Sometimes you have to do things that you would rather not do for the good of your child. Anyway, I find I'm wearing down in regards to this aspect of my parenting. It's challenging to be firm and detached in a way when I'm also trying to be this warm, paternal/maternal sensitive stay-at-home dad guy. Ahh...life and its wonderful contradictions.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Babies can be really hard. On the surface, it seems that it should be so simple: eat, sleep, change diaper, help entertain. But, there's so much information out there (so many different opinions on how to do the feeding and sleeping, especially). Also, these little guys have atrocious communication skills and can't tell you why they are fussing. Things will get easier as Logan becomes better at communicating. Also, things (i.e., his schedule) won't change at quite the astronomical rate that they do now once he gets older. And you'll still have times when you second-guess yourself, but as you become an even more confident parent, things will be so much easier.