Friday, October 17, 2008

Million Dollar Baby Idea: Peak-a-Sleeper

Logan and I napped today and before I drifted off to sleep (on my mattress that I cut a hole in for my stomach sleeping...a long, funny story) I came up with an idea that might be the next fantabulous baby product. I did some initial research on my idea at the U.S. patent website and Google and I haven't yet been able to find a match, so maybe it is somewhat original to my brain.

Here goes: I think it would be helpful to have a small opening in the rear of a sleeper outfit so a parent can easily check to see if baby has a dirty diaper. Sleepers are great little outfits and perfect for night-time sleeping. The annoying thing about them is that you have to unzip or unbutton them in order to check to see if the baby has a soiled diaper. Now, of course you can use your nose to smell if the diaper is dirty, but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between poo and pee...at least it was before Logan started eating solids.

Anyway, sometimes you just want to peak inside the diaper to see if any poopies are in there. At night, we don't change a wet diaper unless it's really, really wet. Diaper changes wake up the baby. But, we would change a poopy diaper as Carly did last night. So, the beauty of having a little opening in the rear of the sleeper would allow a parent to conveniently check if the baby is dirty without having to undo the sleeper or smell the baby's bottom.

My design would be simple...I'm thinking of making a prototype with an old sleeper of Logan's. I might sew three sides of a card sized patch of cool fabric onto the sleeper's backside. Then, I'll take scissors and cut the sleeper underneath the patch, close to the patches open end. That way, you could stick your finger in the opening and peak in the outfit to see if the diaper is dirty without having a big ol' hole in the sleeper.

So what do you think of this idea? There's all sorts of possibilities I s'pose. You could use buttons like in old timey pajamas where the whole bottom falls down, or you could do a velcro type slit pants thing like they have in China. Whatever the case, I can't buy my idea at the local Target just yet, so maybe there is a possibilty for a small home, Internet/ebay/amazon/website business. I could buy sleepers wholesale, pay some NIU college students to cut holes in them and sew on patches (or do it myself) and then sell them online for a reasonable price that makes the Hill family money.

Wow...I've written quite a lot today. Sorry if it's been dull or anything. I get carried away with my inventing ideas...maybe some day one will work out. Maybe it will be the peak-a-sleeper, or peepsleeper, or peakasleeper, or a name like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea. Make it so. I have never understood the sleeping clothes that only open at the top. somehow we have several sleeping outfits that unbutton around the neck and shoulders and there is no good way to access a diaper that way.

Anonymous said...

How 'bout a "Peek-a-Poo"?

Jamie said...

If you make that, I'll buy it!