Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Haircut

Logan got his first haircut today. Technically, it was his second because Carly and I cut off his little rat tail a few months ago. I was shopping at Schnucks, which is a cool store, and noticed the hair cuttery next door. Logan has gotten increasingly shaggy over the past months, and even though I want to grow his hair out, Carly was ready for him to get a cut. And truly, he was getting a little wacky. The hair on top of his head was getting really long, and the back was short, and the sides were just coming in again. Anyway, I wish I had my camera at the barber shop because he looked adorable in the little black cape that they used to protect him from the cut hair. He was good and didn't wiggle too much. After 11 dollars, we got a little certificate and an envelope full of his hair. It was a painless procedure.

I got to thinking about it at home though. Why didn't we just cut it ourselves? Why did I go to a "chop shop" to get this done? It makes me a little sad to realize that I am not as self-reliant as I think. What happened to the good ol' days when people did for themselves? Why aren't I more "jack of all trades" as I imagine myself? It probably would have been a much more satisfying experience to cut Logan's hair myself. I guess I'm overthinking it, though, because I am scared of what the results would be if I did cut his hair. It takes a village to raise a child, I guess.

Thanks for the feedback on yesterday's post. It's nice to know that I haven't bored everyone to death. I'll keep it up.

5 comments:

AAWG said...

I can't cut hair either, or, I am afraid to try. That's why my older daughter's hair runs to the middle of her back. Where would I be w/o detangler?

Anonymous said...

I love the picture, but is it the before or after? Love, Mom H.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, wish I had been there to see my son's first haircut. But no, no pictures, just a blog posting. Thanks, dad.

Anonymous said...

dude, you should get a silver bowl and put it on his head, then cut his hair. That would be awesome. I want a picture of you giving Logan a bowl cut.

Jamie said...

I cut Sam's hair with those clippers with the guide combs. He doesn't like it too much, but since I started letting him watch videos while I cut it, he does much better! I do get a feeling of satisfaction afterwards!! (and I have messed up before--but it's just hair--it grows back!)